Sunday, December 13, 2009

Good times is wonderful medicine!

My husband and I went to our friends wedding reception last night and I must say it was one of the best times we have had in a long time!  Friends, laughter, love, good food, great music and dancing is better than any chemo or pill to make someone feel better.  I laughed so much my cheeks were sore when we got home.  These moments are what makes the world go around.  When there is nothing but positive energy flowing and everywhere you looked, people were smiling, laughing, and there was so much love in that room.  Between the bride and groom, the families and the couples who were very obviously enjoying the time we all shared together. 

Rob & I haven't gone out much lately because, in all honesty, I have not been feeling very well but there was no way I was going to miss this night out.  We only made it to 11pm but to see my husband having such a good time, meeting more of his friends and laughing the night away was just what the doctor ordered.  I may be in a little pain but I can not shake this smile from my face or heart! 

Life is good, I am blessed, I am happy, I have sore cheeks today from smiling and laughing so much!  I love the man I married, the life we share and we have no regrets about anything.  We both knew that the cancer could come back.  On our very first date, the very first thing I told him was; "I had breast cancer, I have no breasts, there is a very strong possibility that it will come back within the next 5 years and I will give you time to absorb this and if you feel it may be too much to handle; I will understand."  Leave it too me to be that blunt but really, if we dated and I wasn't that honest right off the hop...how fair would have that been when he tried to get to second base and find out the bag wasn't there!  LOL!

I know I have kinda rambled off what I was originally going to write about but when I started to write, it made me think of some comments I was told some people were saying.  When I was rediagnosed and people heard about it, there was the "Oh, poor Rob, what has he gotten himself into" or "Awh, they just got married, how is Rob going to handle it".  Rob & I have talked about the possibility of the cancer returning at length many times after that first date and we can both reassure you all that we knew what could potentially be.  We can also share with you that neither one of us feels bad about being together, for getting married and sharing the rest of my life together. 

Yes, it sucks that it came back and much sooner than we would have ever anticipated and way more aggressive than we could have imagined; but we are making the best of a terrible prognosis.  We find ways to showcase our love for one another everyday, to appreciate eachother daily, to do small things that make the others heart smile.  We value every moment we have together, even the little arguments because that is what makes a couple, a couple!  My husband is strong in heart and character and I love him for it.  He always says to me; "I would not change a thing Shauna, I love you, you taught me so much, you have showed me what is important in life and you are the love of my life.  Even if our time together is shortened, it is the best time I have had in all the years of my life". 

I am incredibly in love, happy and honoured to have such a phenominal man as my husband.  To be with him, last night, sharing in the love of the bride and groom & seeing the love of others couples in the room was just what I needed.  Love is what makes the world go round.  We never know when it is someone's "time", so, take the lead and tell the people you care about that you love them, thank them for being in your life & that you appreciate them.  Tell them about the memories that make your heart happy when you think about them.  There is no room or time for regret....but there sure is time for spreading a smile, a laugh, a hug, love and laughter!

I love my life, my husband, Jaimee, Matt & Jacob, my family, my friends and of course, my furry family Oscar and Belle.  I am incredibly happy today and feeling blessed for the life I have! 

This song is dedicated to my husband.  I have been hearing it alot lately, including the reception last night, and it moves my soul everytime I hear it.  It's beautiful and how I feel about my husband Rob.  Love you babe! xoxo



~~~Living, Laughing & Loving~~~

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shauna, again you inspire me to embrace my beautiful life that I have been given. "Feels Like Home" was the song that my husband and I danced to at our wedding. I fell in love with the lyrics and wrote them out and gave them to my Kelly when we moved in together. Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful day.
    Once my boys wake up, I'll play the song for them and we'll dance and sing together to it...nothing is better than dancing and singing with your loved ones
    Sending you a big warm hug :)
    Hugs, Shaun

    ReplyDelete